Students who have earned a B.S. or a M.S. degree in an engineering curriculum or a curriculum in the mathematical or physical sciences are eligible to be considered for admission to the graduate program in Mechanical Engineering.
The minimum requirements for admission are:
- Minimum GPA 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on all previous college level work
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts only required if accepted)
- Statement of purpose
- GRE scores: 152V; 159Q; 4.0AW
- TOEFL if English is not your first language: 600 PBT (equivalent to 250 CBT; 100 IBT). Alternatively, International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score 7.
Official transcripts should be mailed to:
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396
Some of the above requirements can be waived in select cases when other components of the application are particularly outstanding. Satisfaction of the above requirements does not guarantee admission.
Graduate Application Procedure
Information regarding the procedure for applying for graduate studies can be obtained from the website of the Graduate Admissions Office.
Fall Semester--January 15th (Admission decision-March 1st)
Spring Semester--September 1st (Admission decision-October 1st)
Summer Session--January 15th
*all requirements must be fulfilled by deadline dates
Applicants intending to apply after the deadline for each session MUST be sponsored by a faculty member in Mechanical Engineering for waiver of the deadline.
We are always happy to arrange a campus visit for prospective graduate students. Please call Tara Hoadley at (319) 335-5939 to set up your visit. Questions about the graduate application process should also be addressed to Ms. Hoadley at the above address. Other questions should be addressed to the Department Chair.